Thursday, February 18, 2010

Faculty Art Show

I am currently in a show at the Braithwaite Fine Arts Gallery Faculty Exhibit. The show was "roughly" based on a Parowan Gap theme. Since I teach graphic design I wanted to enter a piece that was graphic design related. Being the type nerd that I am, I've been interested in forming type of out other physical objects and images. In the end I found an interesting Paiute legend about the coyote and how the Native American people came to the Americas. I did some research and learned that in Paiute the "coyote" is spelled "etza'a". I gathered as many paiute related imagery as I could and created the piece below with the type set legend.







I was persuaded to include this flute that I made a few years ago. This was not made specifically for the show but it relates quite well. I credit a brilliant carpenter and artist named Kay Harris for helping make the flute. I play it quite often and it has become very important to me. It's a great way to deal with stress and meditate. I do not have any specific songs memorized, I just play what I feel impromptu. The flute is made of walnut and the totem is made from cherry.

1 comment:

  1. I loved how you made the letters, very cool. I like stuff like that. The flute is cool too, sounds like it was fun to make.

    Thanks for the blog comment the other day!

    ReplyDelete